Funicular dos Guindais
The Guindais Elevator is a funicular type installation for transporting people whose vehicles, pulled by a cable, move on rails. The traction cable is permanently tensioned by a system of counterweights connected to the vehicles by another cable of smaller diameter (tension cable).
The installation serves two stations connected by a single track: the upper one known as "Batalha station", where the traction unit is installed and the lower one known as "Ribeira station" or return, where the counterweight system is located.
The vehicles are connected by the traction cable so that at the beginning and end of each trip, one of them is in the mountain station and the other in the valley station. The junction between the two is on a double track section, located on the downhill side of the route, before entering the access tunnel to the mountain station.
The track is laid out in areas of different slopes reaching a maximum of 36.1% and a minimum of 2.8% respectively in the uphill direction.
The installation was designed to operate automatically, without a driver on board the vehicles and has a control and surveillance post at Batalha station.
Venha descobrir a cidade Invicta! Passe pelas ruas estreitas, e fique a conhecer a história do Porto, a sua vida cultural e os seus "bons planos".
(April to October)
- Sunday to Thursday from 8 am to 10 pm
- Friday to Saturday from 8 am to midnight
(November to March)
- Sunday to Thursday from 8 am to 8 pm
- Friday to Saturday from 8 am to 10 pm
- Easter | Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 8 am to midnight
- São João | Continuous operation from 23 to 24 June
- Christmas | December 24th, closed at 7 pm; December 25th - Closed
- New Year's Eve | Continuous operation from December 31st to January 1st
GENERAL TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Number of vehicles in circulation: 2
- Maximum capacity of each vehicle: 25 people
- Comfort Capacity of each vehicle: 15 people
- Track gauge: 1200 mm
- Maximum track inclination: 36.1%.
- Minimum track inclination: 2.8%.
- Gap between upper and lower stations: 61.2m
- Total distance of the route (track length): 281.1m
+351 222 080 111